Thursday 2 August 2012

Day 6 – Tuesday 24th July


Today was a very slow day.  It was good in a way, though, because it meant that I could chat with one of the coaches.  I’d spoken to him and the shooter yesterday and they’d seemed shocked that we don’t live on site or have accommodation provided for us.  Today he had many questions on the cost of living, University, petrol.  They had to all pick their jaws off the floor when I told them that a tank of petrol here can cost £60 – in Venezuela it’s £1 at the very most.  I’m really shocked about there being such a different, but now see, sort of, why everyone is so obsessed with finding and owning oil.  Also, I never realised that prices in general in the UK and Western Europe are so high. 

At dinner I met with a guy working for Portugal who gave me another pin.  Woohoo!  He was really passionate about his job, and wants to work at Rio during the next Olympics.  I’d love to be in Rio for the Olympics or the World Cup.  I can imagine them both being very colourful, and so different to here and South Africa.

Other than arranging two more Games Makers to join us – I hope - Goli and Daniela - and welcoming some more athletes and moving their luggage really not much more happened.  Things almost became a little more entertaining when it turned out that a couple of bags hadn’t arrived, but they were all found in good time.

Luckily, although the Venezuelans say tomorrow will be slower, we’re all going to be in the dress rehearsal for the Opening Ceremony.  I love feeling like I’m doing something but at least I’m bored doing the Olympics rather than being on my sofa!

No comments:

Post a Comment