Friday 24 August 2012

Day 24 – Saturday 11th August – An Evening in the Olympic Stadium


Today was the third and last of my days off at the Olympic Games.  But, unlike last time, it wasn’t totally Olympics-free, as we had, last year, won tickets in the original ballot to go to see the final session of the Athletics in the Olympic Stadium. 

I met with Mum, Dad and Alice in Westfield Shopping Centre, but we headed straight into the Olympic Park to see what was going on.  It was really nice to see it through fresh eyes.  It was so busy.  Many people stopped to look up at the BBC studio in the Park, where some of the commentary is broadcasted from.  At several point, various BBC presenters turned and waved at the crowd, much to everyone’s delight.  I love the BBC!

After a quick lunch of Cornish Pasties, we made our way to Park Live, where I had watched both Usain Bolt’s races.  We were deeper in the crowd this time, and after picking our way through to the only spot available in the entire area, we watch the end of the Mountain Biking and Ed McKeever’s Gold in the Kayaking.  Even though it was a replay, it was wonderful to hear the roar of the crowd around me as it if was the real thing at Eton Dorney.

After that we wandered around the Park for a couple of hours, taking in all the views.  I tried to point out the Venezuelans’ residence somewhere in the distance, aided by the giant ‘Time Brasil’ poster.  I made everyone do Usain Bolt’s classic pose, much to everyone else’s embarrassment.  I just had to do it!  There was a really lovely park area, with a pond and trees, which was a really tranquil contrast to the buzz and excitement of the rest of the Park.  We also met up with some family friends, Mike and Lynn, who had also been allocated tickets for the Athletics.  It was really lovely to see them and tell them about my adventures here.  Although a couple of people asked me for photos and things, once more it was really strange being in my ‘civvies’ and not in uniform, being asked questions and favours.

Although we were in the highest, furthest back seats of the stadium, it didn’t feel like it.  We had the Athletics Track in full view, with the Flame warming us directly in front, the score board opposite, and a full view of the Javelin in front us and the High Jump in the distance.  Even though, for many of the events, there were no British competitors, the crowd were very warm towards every single competitor, gasping if someone fell, cheering if someone achieved.  I think the athletes really appreciated that, and it made the atmosphere like nothing I’d seen before.

The two highlights of the evening were the Men’s 5000m and 100m Relay.  Mo Farah’s race in the former of these was so tense.  As with the Velodrome the other day, for the first 4000m the cheers occurred in waves, following Mo and the other athletes around the stadium.  As he pushed to the front, the cheers became louder, willing him to win Gold in front of our very eyes.  The final couple of laps were immense, with the crowd raising to its feet, cheering louder and louder as victory became more and more real.  The sound of the cheers as he reached the finishing line was so indescribably loud.  I’ve tried, it’s just like nothing I’ve ever encountered before.  It seems difficult to imagine, but it was so loud I couldn’t hear a thing.  It was deafening.  Something I’ll never forget.  I hope Mo never forgets it either, as it seemed to be carrying him over the finishing line.

The Men’s 100m Relay was also electric, as everyone wanted to see the rivalry between the USA and Jamaica.  It was also a hat trick for me, as I’d managed to see all three of Usain Bolt’s races live, plus all of his races in Beijing four years ago.  He’s so amazing on screen, and it was unbelievable being able to see a living legend sprint easily across the finishing line, as if everyone else should be able to do it at that pace.  He’s such a wonderful person, too – a superstar, but so nice about it.  Mo Farah too.  As if everyone with a talent should find it that easy.  I hope many people have learnt a lesson or two from both of them!

The Victory Ceremonies came one by one, leaving Mo Farah until the last.  The Russians won three golds, including one from the night before, so Mum and I managed to ‘la’ along to the final rendition of those, plus the French and USA anthems, much to the amusement of the guy next to us.  Hearing God Save the Queen sung by 80,000 people, though, was also something I would never forget.  It brought a lump to my throat and a tear to my eye to hear it.

I was so reluctant to leave the Stadium at the end, after watching an interview with Mo and Usain.  It was the final day – tomorrow it will be used for a completely different event.  That brought a tear to my eye too as I said goodbye to my parents and made my way towards the station in the direction of Turnpike Lane.  I can’t believe it finishes tomorrow.  I’m so glad I got to be a part if it this way as well before the end.

No comments:

Post a Comment