Sunday 5 August 2012

Day 9 – Friday 27th July – Opening Ceremony


Today was always going to be very exciting.  I was so happy to be on shift for leading the Venezuelan team to their Opening Ceremony.

The day had been largely non-eventful, with only a couple of questions asked Shernaz and Kathy went to play with their cars.  It seemed there was literally nothing to do, as the Venezuelans were reading Facebook and playing Mah-Jong Solitaire online.  I wish I could take them to see London or something – maybe on a less important day!

Maybe the highlight of the afternoon was watching topless (male) New Zealand athletes standing on a balcony watching their teammates do the Haka.  Or it could have been walking two athletes from Trinidad and Tobago to the Village Hair Salon.  They were so much fun, bantering all the way down, including me in their banter.  It was hilarious and so surreal to be a natural part of two Olympic athletes’ conversations.

After a quick dinner we had to go for a meeting describing our duties tonight.  Christina had unfortunately been stuck at Heathrow all day waiting for a flight that no one knew the arrival time of, so I became the placard bearer – such a huge honour.  I carried the placard to the office.  We were so concerned about Venezuelan timekeeping – sometimes they’re not so great about that. 

Thankfully, with two hours to wait, we persuaded the office ladies to put the Opening Ceremony on the TV so we could catch the beginning of it as we waited for our allotted leaving time to arrive.  Our instructions were so strict – we had to leave at 10h08 and follow a designated route to the stadium.  After enjoying the first half-hour of the Opening Ceremony (I am so, so proud of my country), conscious of our timing, we walked briskly, to the complaints of some of the officials.  Once we were in the athletes’ pen, the atmosphere became even more electric, with the athletes behind us chanting “Venezuela” loudly, the chants growing louder as Ukraine chanted back.  I felt myself joining in, the atmosphere infectious.  They were taking photos of each other at every possible moment, some of the girls sprinting to a surprised LeBron James to take photos as the USA walk by, much to the basketball player’s shock and enjoyment.

The Venezuelans dressed all in white, with ‘Venezuela’ written in blue, yellow and red on their back, the women wearing an elegant silver ornament in their hair with flowers in the country’s colours, brought all the way from their home country.  As we edged forwards, we discovered there were children lining the route, holding their hands out for a high-five or a book for an autograph, cheering everyone down.  This excited the athletes more, chants of ‘Venezuela’ growing louder and louder with the kids’ help.  Shernaz and I, taking turns with the placard, chatted to Fabiola, the table-tennis player and the flag-bearer.  She was very lovely, and totally relaxed about her moment.  A couple of press officers asker her questions, which she nervously answered in English.  She seemed far more nervous about that than being the flag-bearer.

It was such a wonderful thing to be a part of, enjoyed by everyone.  Unforgettable.  I managed to give Artemio instructions before being whisker away by the marshals.  It was over all too soon for me – I was having an amazing time.  I tried to watch out for Venezuela on the big screen, but was ushered away because of the fireworks.  By the time I was on the train home they were underway, the train driver slowing down as the whole carriage gasped and cheered as everyone watched red, white and blue explosions fly out of the stadium.

I’m yet to see the whole Opening Ceremony, but I am so proud of Danny Boyle, the volunteers and the whole country for such an amazing night.  I wish I could have stayed longer and soaked up more atmosphere, but I’m so pleased I got to be a small part of it.  I’m beginning to see, now, how good these Olympics are going to be for this country.  I really can’t be more proud.

No comments:

Post a Comment