Tuesday 14 August 2012

Day 17 – Saturday 4th August


Today began early as I made my way to Westfield Shopping Centre to meet my friend Cathy from Uni before she went into the Park to watch the evening’s athletics in the stadium.  It was lovely to see her – I’ve been in the Olympic Bubble and pretty cut off from everyone.  Before meeting her, I also had a chat with one of Team GB’s physiotherapists in Next as I perused the Team GB scarves.  

When I arrived at the Village I found it might be a slow day, to my disappointment.  I always like the 3 o’clock changeover, when I get to see everyone in the team and have a quick chat before they head off home.

My slow day, however, only lasted a few minutes, as before long Artemio asked me if I wanted to go to the Velodrome with some of the officials.  Of course, I jumped at the chance, taking the bus with them from the village.  Unfortunately I couldn’t sit with the Venezuelans, but I was able to stand nearby.  Standing or sitting, I was so happy and grateful to be there.  The building was amazing – a giant oval shape with a wooden track, with the riders in the centre.  You just don’t get the right impression of the size when you watch it on television.  We were just in time to watch the British break a World Record, with the finish line very near to where I had been standing.  I wasn’t sure if I should try not to show emotion, but,, in all honesty, it was difficult when so many riders – British, Venezuelan or anyone else – were doing so well right there in front of me.  It was also difficult not to be moved by the home crowd, whose roars of support followed the British riders around the track like a very loud Mexican wave, or a very large stereo sound system.

Following that was a 120 Lap Race that was part of a medley of races called the Omnium.  Artemio came and spoke to me during the introduction so I still don’t really know what was going on, but I enjoyed it all the same, especially cheering on a German who lapped the other riders several times.  There were also some heats for the Men’s Sprint – a sort of mind game where two riders pedal slowly around the track twice, teasing and tricking each other, until the last lap where they pedal it to the end.  This was one of my favourite events to watch, as it was so tactical, and the commentator was very good.   However, I was annoyed that the Venezuelan rider got relegated to the repercharge after breaking a rule to do with lines, similarly to Victoria Pendleton.  It would have been wonderful to see Venezuela win another medal on my watch!

However, before I had to leave I managed to watch Dani King, Laura Trott and Joanna Roswell win the Women’s Team Pursuit.  I felt tears in my eyes as the roars following the women around the stadium, as they had done with Jason Kenny previously, growing louder as it became clear they had the advantage.  It was such a unique, emotional moment – one I may never hear again – but I’m so glad I got the opportunity.  I was so proud of my country’s sportspeople and spectators and had I been allowed to stay I’m sure tears would have broken free for the National Anthem and the spontaneous rendition of Hey Jude.  Alas, I had to leave, and couldn't take the bus this time.  The Velodrome was kept at a constant 28oC heat to facilitate the riders’ speed.  But it doesn’t matter at all – I saw the competition, and my walk back allowed me to reflect on how lucky I am to be here, doing this.

Team GB won so many medals today.  We’re the centre of the world.  Everyone’s watching us do this right.  The people I talk to on the Tube from all over the world are so happy to be a part of this, to chat with me and tell me their stories.  When I wrote my Opening Ceremony entry I said I couldn’t be more proud of my country.  Today, in the Velodrome, I was proven wrong.  And I’m so glad I was.

1 comment: