Thursday 9 August 2012

Day 14 – Wednesday 1st August – Golden Day


Doing absolutely nothing yesterday really paid off, as I woke up feeling very rested and ready for the day ahead.  Before heading off to work I managed to see Team GB’s rowing pair win our first gold medal.  It was a wonderful win and I’m so glad for them for the achievement, and to stop the press being so cruel.  I’m proud of Team GB with or without medals, of any colour.

I arrived at the Olympic Village to a Venezuelan wanting to go to Gatwick to pick his wife and daughters up, who were just about to land.  He wanted to go by train, so I was happy to go to give the drivers a rest.  The guy, Fran, is the President of the country’s boxing association and was really great company.  After returning once or twice for forgotten things (yes, very amusing!) we were on our way.  I told him a lot about myself, answering a lot of questions.  I thought he was just inquisitive, so when he offered me a job a few moments later I was really surprised.  I’m not sure if anything will come of it, but it was great to be asked!

On the way to Gatwick I told him many stories about the places we passed – about a lot of London being destroyed during World War II, about the Shard being the tallest building in Western Europe, about Battersea Power Station/ Dogs Home.  I also recommended some tourist spot where he could take his daughters.

We arrived at Gatwick Arrivals to find that they had already landed and were waiting for us.  It was really beautiful to see a lovely family group.  Much to my amusement, they all told him off for being late.  I was so sure it was just a part of the Venezuelan culture!  His wife and daughters were a pleasure to join, and it felt good to hear him tell them all the stories I’d told him on the train on the way there.  I do love telling stories and knowing that they were enjoyed.

When we reached London Victoria he phoned a friend of his who would meet us at Camden Town (Alexander, who owns a shop there called Snug (http://www.wix.com/snuglondon/snuglondon)).  I was disgusted by the attitudes of some of the commuters, who had absolutely no patience for them.  They were wearing Venezuela jackets, were obviously foreign and clearly didn’t speak any English.  Usually I just put up, but I had to tell one of  them off as she was worrying the girls.  On the other hand some other commuters and travellers were lovely, asking questions about them and me.  One small boy played peek-a-boo with Fran’s wife, Luisa, which she loved.  The boy also asked me if I was working for the ‘London Obstacle Course’.  I could have died of cute!

We ended up somewhere near Edgware – a long journey and a long day.  However, not long had we arrived at the place they were staying when I got the news from Christina: Venezuela’s Ruben Limardo had just won Gold in the fencing!  My heart bursting with pride for my adopted country I told everyone else.  Even though there were only 7 of us the atmosphere was so joyous, so proud.  I can only dream of how it was for Christina in ExCel or in the Venezuela office in Stratford.  A very emotional Fran told me it was a huge thing for the whole of Venezuela – something to unite everyone in the streets.  I love that.  It’s so different to countries like the UK, where the media this very morning were demanding gold medals and everyone expects us to win at least one medal every day.  This is the first gold Venezuela have won for 44 years.  It could be their only medal in London 2012, but they are so happy and so proud of Ruben.  I’m so pleased for them all.  This is why I’m so happy and honoured to be here.  I really hope I get to see the medal!

No comments:

Post a Comment