Sunday 19 August 2012

Day 19 – Monday 6th August


When I arrived this morning I have the honour of meeting Julio César León – Venezuela’s first ever Olympic athlete, who fought in World War II and competed for the first time in London’s ‘Austerity Games’ in 1948, as well as in the World Championships in Paris later on, and is considered pretty much to be a national hero.  It was really wonderful meeting a part of Venezuela’s history, and he was such a lovely man (with a wonderful name!).  He was, obviously, very interested in watching  the cycling.  It was really clear that everyone in the room respected him, Games Makers, Athletes and Officials alike.

He sort of began a running trend for the day.  With nothing much to do – even the officials were on Facebook – Carlos and I asked Yamelys questions about Venezuela: about the Angel Falls (Salto Angel in Spanish), the Amazon and the Lago de Maracaibo, the massive bay to the north-west of the country.  It all looks so beautiful.  I know I really want to see it one day.

The most I had to do was sort out a similar transport issue to the other day.  Tomorrow I have to arrange the same thing, but for a large group of Venezuelans to leave a different times of the day, so I hope it’ll be more eventful.  I really wish there was more for me to do!

They let me leave early again.  I made my way out through Westfield, stopping in Next to buy Team GB scarves for when I watch the Athletics on Saturday.  As I was about the queue I heard a familiar-sounding voice cry “Sophie!!” and my head snapped round.  Elida, alongside most of the officials, had gone shopping too.  It was really uplifting and awesome to be recognised like that by them, and a happy end to a very slow day.



To learn more about Julio César, click here

1 comment: