Tuesday 31 July 2012

Day 5 – Monday 23rd July


When I arrived at Stratford Station this morning, it was considerably busier than last week.  I’m not sure if it’s to do with the Olympics – people star spotting or spectators doing a dummy-run – or because it’s the school holidays.  Luckily I’d arrived early to buy sun-cream, because, finally, the sun’s come out!  It’s one extreme or another, rain, rain, rain or huge heat and sun.  I was fortunate to meet another Games Maker in Boots, so we could benefit from the buy-one-get-one-free offer, which was very handy.

I arrived at work early again, despite the crowds.  Today we’ve been given reward cards.  Every time we get a sticker we get a prize.  I’m not sure what the reward is at the end, but I’m excited.  I found there was suncream available, but I think I’m happier with my own.

At the break-room I met Christina and Carlos who were just on their way to lunch after a quiet morning.  I joined them, which turned out to be a great decision – not just because they’re awesome people, but also because on the way a big red double-decker bus pulled round the corner.  I looked up to the top deck as I saw someone move, to see a lot of athletes waving at us – athletes with Team GB uniform.  I enthusiastically waved back.  My day had been made!

We also met with Mitzi, who’d been moved to Puerto Rico (the team not the country).  It was lovely to see her again and catch up.

Lunch came and went, but the Venezuelans were still at their lunch, so we went to the break room, chatted, caught up with the news, watched the Weakest Link.  It was great to have some us-time, to be ourselves and not just team-members.  We then headed back to the Venezuela office.  Luckily someone had brought from Venezuela a pile of magazines about their Olympics team, so we read that, helped Shernaz to read the Spanish, talked about language to one of the coaches, Victor.  We also talked Spanish-language music, as the office ladies had their iPod on. 

It was a very slow day.  On one hand I was enjoying everyone’s company, but on the other hand I was buzzing to do something helpful. So, when I was asking to sort out an error at the guest pass centre I jumped at the chance.  By this time, Christina had gone home and Carlos was on errands, so it was just me in the office.  It was me a great opportunity to chat to the office staff and coaches and trainers.  This experience is so good for my Spanish, especially being exposed to such a different accent and some different vocabulary.  After another trip to talk to the Guest Pass people about the error before, I came back to a couple of requests about room errors.  On my return I made sure to let the person who told me know it had been noted down.
“But will they do something about it?” he teased.  He then joked about remembering that British and Germans are always on time!  I’m really glad that we’re at a point with the Venezuelans where we can laugh with them.  It’s possibly made my day as much as waving at a bus-full of Team GB, as did chatting to one of the athletes – a shooter, I think.  She was lovely, and loved being in London, asking me where to visit.  She and her coach also told me I should visit Venezuela, and the whole of South America.  In all honesty, I’d love to, but of course it’s expensive to get there.  I didn’t mention the danger to them!

So quiet was the day that I went home early.  But the day wasn’t pointless – I’m so happy to be here.  All the events brightened my day and are things I’ll never forget.

1 comment:

  1. I should have volunteered - I feel I'm missing out!
    Mum x

    ReplyDelete