Thursday 26 July 2012

Day 1 – Thursday 19th July 2012


(Foreword - sorry for the late update - the place I was staying didn't have internet.  But now I do!  I'll post daily, but the updates will be a week after the occurrence.  Better late than never, eh?)

It’d be a lie to say that I wasn’t nervous this morning.  Images on the news of the media bothering fellow “Games Makers” last night added to worries about language and my responsibilities.  But I was so excited.  After six months of interviews and training, travelling down/ up to London once a month, this was it.  My stint at the London 2012 Olympic Games was beginning.

Despite my dummy run the previous day, which I was grateful for, I left in good time.  At the moment I’m staying in Bexleyheath with the wonderful Maxine and Matt – a good hour’s journey by train, bus or District Light Railway from the village in Stratford, with about 30 minutes’ walking added on.

On my way to the station I decided to stop at Sainsbury’s for a snack and drink – the best bet seeing as it’s a sponsor of the Games and I didn’t want to get into trouble for using an ASDA carrier bag/ products.  However, I didn’t expect to see three workers standing in the first aisle looking horrified.  I know the jury’s out on whether the uniform looks good or not, but I didn’t think it was that bad!
“Are you here for us or just for you?” one of them stuttered – they thought I was there for an inspection!  
I laughed a lot, apologised and reassured them that I just wanted a snack for my journey.  After that they were more relaxed, asking questions about my role.  I warned them that I’d probably be back.  I don’t want to be guilty of giving Sainsbury’s in Bexleyheath a scare every day!

On the train I felt a little conspicuous in my purple and red top, beige trousers and grey shoes.  I had a nice chat with an American man, who works in insurance in the City.  He seemed pretty positive about the Olympics, which was nice to hear after so much negativity in the media.  As the DLR train neared Stratford, more purple and red shirts appeared on the train.  Rather than feeling nervously conspicuous I started feeling a sense of pride and solidarity, which only grew as the train neared Stratford, the beautiful Olympic Stadium standing proud for everyone to see, a little like a crown.

At the station I met Carlos, one of my team members, and a Spanish opera singer, and we both walked into the Olympic Village together.  After passing through the airport-style security, manned by some very cheery security guys, I picked up my meal vouchers and a bottle of water and we made our way up the path.  The sight was amazing.  Some of the countries have already arrived, so the balconies of their residences have been draped in flags.  Some countries, like Italy, have put massive banners up too.

At 11 we met the other team members – Christina, Mitzi, Shernaz and Kathleen – and we sat in the break room, exchanging numbers and waiting for Venezuela to leave their initial meeting.  1 o’clock came and went, so we made our way to the dining area.  It was pretty much a school canteen, with a McDonald’s in the corner, a salad bar and a hot food counter, with piles of fruit and cereal bars in the centre, plus fridges of Coca Cola products and water.  I opted for a strange mixture of toad in the hole and couscous (yeah, I know) and corn on the cob.  There were so many people in the canteen, which is amazing seeing as not everyone’s arrived yet.  And there weren’t just people in purple, but also in blue, army uniform and police uniform.  We were amazed by the number of guns the policemen had.

We returned to the break room still not having been called.  Instead of hanging around we went for a walk to see all the apartment blocks and their decorations.  Some athletes and officials were milling around.  It was so great to see so many nations in one place.  We managed to sneak a peek at a team welcome ceremony – a short procession for every country, which is important for some countries that may not win any medals, with a colourful performance at the end.
Finally at about 4 we got the call.  Christina went to greet the delegates (no athletes yet) and we headed to their apartment block.  Whilst we were waiting, the New Zealand team walked by, dressed very smartly in black and white and carrying a banner.  We could only guess they were going to their team ceremony.

Finally a very tired group of Venezuelan officials arrived on a bus with Christina.  Together we greeted them all, then a nice guy, Alex, from the support team showed us around, revealing that we’d have to go into each of the athletes’ and officials’ rooms to do an inventory of everything, to make sure everything was there and functioning.  The most bizarre was a missing shower rail, and a whole apartment with missing keys.  This process took a while, but it was fun trying to speed the process up.  Christina and I became really efficient!

With the Venezuelans sleepy and jet-lagged we were allowed to go at 7/7h30.  Some people went straight home, but Carlos, Shernaz and I opted to use our meal voucher.  I went to McD’s because I felt I deserved it!

On the way back it was lovely to stand and talk with some other Games Makers – one driving at ExCel and one doing accreditation (passes) at the Villiage – she’d done some of the Venezuelans!  It made me realise that we’re all cogs in a very special, precious, important wheel.  As the BBC demonstrated yesterday, perhaps not everyone will appreciate this, but it doesn’t make it any less special or exciting.  I can’t wait for tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment