Wednesday 11 July 2012

Pipedream (8 days to go)



In early July 2005 the decision was made in Singapore for London to host the Olympic Games in July/August 2012. I remember the build-up, the day, the euphoria, very well. I remember my Geography teacher standing in the classroom that overlooked the English Channel, pointing in the general direction of France, and making a joke. Of course, Paris, against the odds, had lost out to us.

I was only 15 years of age and, although it seemed like half a lifetime away, I remember thinking to myself, “I’ll be 22 by then. I’ll be old enough to work there.” It seemed like a pipedream. I imagined that sort of work to be only available for people who knew the likes of Steve Redgrave and Seb Coe. Plus, 2012 seemed such a long way away. To any fifteen-year-old, anything above eighteen seems old and a very long way away.

Over the years, my life has moved on dramatically. I’ve finished my studies, I just graduated with a 2:1 at the University of Birmingham with a degree in French, Spanish and European Studies. I’ve spent a life-changing year abroad, meeting wonderful people, seeing unforgettable places. Like every young person, I’ve had relationships and friendships come and go. I’ve made brilliant decisions and I’ve made terrible mistakes, and everything in between. It feels like I’m a whole different person now, and yet fundamentally I’m the same happy, healthy person I always was. And the preparation for the London 2012 Olympic Games has always been there.

Two years ago, just before I went abroad, the call-out for Volunteers – Games Makers – began. Remembering that day, that pipedream five years previously, I took a chance and applied. It didn’t need a second thought. I ticked through all the boxes. I’d find a place in London. I’d do anything possible to be part of this once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to be a part of the Olympic Games and represent my country. I think I applied to work in the shops in a few of the venues. I didn’t realise my language skills would be recognised the way they have been.

I went abroad and had the time of my life. The application remained at the back of my mind, and was soon forgotten nothing came of it. I was all right with that – I could be a part of the Olympics in other ways. Namely on my couch.

But then, a little over six months ago, almost like something out of Harry Potter, I unexpectedly received the letter asking me to ExCel near the London Docklands for an interview. It was for a totally different post than the one I had applied for, one I had no idea about, but still exciting. I took a cheeky day off Uni and breezed into the interview, nowhere near nervous enough, more interested in the interview practice (I had another the following day for something totally different) than daring to believe I could get the position, and had a wonderful chat with the interviewer for twenty minutes. Maybe I would have been more nervous had I known I really was in with a chance

A month later, on a train to see my Aunt in Scotland, I got the email through. I excitedly told the man next to me; I phoned my parents; I told my Aunt when I arrived; I told my other Scottish relatives. I couldn’t believe I would be a part of this.

Since then, I’ve been to role training in various parts of East London once a month, negotiating everything around my lectures and my exams. With great difficulty I arranged place(s) to stay in London, for which I am extremely grateful. I've walked alone in Hackney in the dead of night. I've been up at the crack of dawn. I tried to drive a BMW around the scary streets of London. I've walked around the Olympic Village. Venezuela is my new favourite country. The training has been an experience in itself.

Now it’s just past midnight on July 11th 2012. In less than six days I’ll be at my first house in London. In 8 days I start my first shift. The London 2012 website says it’s just under 17 days to go until 20h12 (see what they did there?) on July 27th , when the Opening Ceremony begins.

The pipedream of a fifteen year old girl is getting very, very real. I couldn’t be more excited!

No comments:

Post a Comment