Saturday 28 July 2012

Day 2 – Friday 20th July


Today was more of a fixed timetable, starting at 3 and ending at 10.  I arrived early, at half 2, to rest from my long commute in before facing the day ahead.  There was a group of ladies waiting for their country, the Bahamas, to finish their meeting.  I reassured them that the same had happened to us, and that we’d gone on a walk, which seemed to brighten their day a little.

I find most Games Makers easy to talk to.  They’re eager to share their knowledge, anecdotes and experiences.  One man in the Opening Ceremony this morning showed me a quicker way to get from Lewisham to Stratford, which was very helpful.  He couldn’t share anything about the Opening Ceremony, but you could sense a certain buzz about him to suggest that it’s going to be very, very good.

After quickly meeting with everyone, we headed to the office, where we were set to work straight away.  After reporting a leak in a bathroom, Carlos, Kathleen, Shernaz and I were set to work, moving a bed, bedding, mattress and nightstand from one floor to another via a lift, which was as difficult as it sounded, and involved Kathleen having to teach us how to make a bed with hospital corners (in my defence I’ve only used fitted sheets before!), and we also moved a table and whiteboard from one meeting room to another.  It’s just a demonstration of how varied our tasks are.  Which I really like.

Following that, whilst chasing some missing stationery, Shernaz and I happened upon some arriving athletes and trainers.  They were really lovely, and all call me ‘Sofía’, which is probably best for now.  The athletes looked pretty nervous, but seeing their faces light up after I pointed out the WiFi passwords was wonderful.  I’ve found all the athletes I’ve spoken to really pleasant and just normal.  I was in a lift with a girl from El Salvador who was really nice, and excited to be in London.  I know we’ve been told not to bother the athletes, but I really don’t want to be cold.  I’ve found just saying ‘Hi’ or even ‘How are you?’ to meet somewhere in the middle is nice and appropriate.

After this, we reunited some suitcases with their owners, and then went in search of the missing stationery.  This concluded in being sent to Westfield Shopping Centre for some supplies.  It felt a little strange being in the outside world.  It was amazing how many athletes were there shopping.  Some Australians stopped me to ask for directions to a place to buy an iron.  As I said, just normal people.  It’s just so nice, and makes it easy not to be star-struck. 

By the time everything was finished it was well past dinner-time.  Today’s dinner of pasta and vegetables was a little more sensible than toad in the hole and couscous, and having been told to take our time we chatted with one of the Holiday Inn employees, Leanne.  She had been nominated by her boss in Ireland to work at the Village, which must have been a wonderful honour.  All the Holiday Inn people come from all over the world, and have crazy hours.

The Venezuelans wanted a quiet evening so we were sent home early.  It was another tiring day for all at the Olympic Village, and I don’t see it changing.  But I love helping and keeping busy.  I think people like seeing me on the trains in my uniform (I narrowly escaped being a ‘referee’ for some drunk people doing gymnastics on the train poles).  However, I regretted naming the fake caller function on my Olympics phone “Hugo Chavez” (after the Venezuelan president) when I pocket-dialled the fake caller and had a heart attack when my phone rang and Hugo Chavez was on the caller ID!  Ha!

3 comments:

  1. Ooh, keep an eye out for the Ozzies as well... A friend of a friend is in their rowing team :D

    *continues being so proud of you*

    ReplyDelete
  2. There are so many Aussies :P

    ReplyDelete