Saturday 5 May 2012

It's Getting More Real



A very big blog update today – in length and importance.

Yesterday (May 3rd) saw my return to London’s East End for my fifth Games Maker training meeting, otherwise known as the day I found out the country I was going to be linked to in July and August.  Alongside six others, I’m going to be an NOC (National Olympic Committee) Assistant to Venezuela.  I’m so very excited.  I love learning about new places!  The two girls I met are really lovely and I'm really looking forward to working with them and meeting the rest of my team. 

Any chance to speak Spanish is a godsend to me.  After enquiring a little and reading around the Internet, it looks like a great country.  I really can’t wait to represent the UK, and to be a cog the massive machinery that’s going to make the Olympics go smoothly and amazingly.  I’m truly excited.

Obviously, I have to pick and choose what I post here, but I shall share my experience, for people who are interested and for my own future reference.  Everything I put here will be honest.  In other words, if I’m positive, it’ll be me saying it and not just in case LOCOG find the time in their very busy schedule to find this blog and read it.

Today I returned to London – this time to the UDAC centre to pick up my uniform.  This is one of the many things that has convinced me that the Olympics are going to run very smoothly: if a simple uniform collection can be planned so well, with so much thought through, then the events are going to be marvellous.

I admit I was nervous about the Uniform.  It had received bad press and opinions, and I wasn’t too sure about the colouring.  However, I don’t know what it is, but it’s a lot better in reality.  It could be the excitement; it could be having adjusted to it.  But it’s wonderful.  It’s so, so comfortable and practical (non-iron!).  There’s something about knowing that it’s so sustainable (made of recycled material) that’s comforting as well. 


 


I also got my identity/access card, which is exciting but nerve-wracking.  I don’t want to lose it!  The photo on it is incredibly serious.  As photos are when they tell you not to smile!  It’s not quite as murderous as the one on my passport and driving license, more… ‘Don’t you dare mess with me’.   Ha ha ha.

On the way home, I took a detour to find one of the only two or three Chipotle restaurants in London.  It’s an American Mexican restaurant chain that does things like burritos and tacos, but the best thing there (that I can’t believe they didn’t invent in the UK yet) is the wonderful burrito bowl.  It’s literally a bowl full of burrito filling, without the messiness and calories of a tortilla wrap.  If I had some spare cash I’d certainly start a business!  It was as tasty as America, most definitely, if not as big a portion size (thank goodness!).

I’m genuinely very happy to be alive and British this year.  I came home to amazing plans for the Jubilee weekend (I’ve always wanted a street party!), and the Olympics are so, so close (according to the website, just under 84 days until the Opening Ceremony). 

It’s going to be a great summer.

5 comments:

  1. Awwww, you look ready to go. :D Can't run 100 meters but you can make sure Venezuela gets there on time :D

    That food sounds good. We should go some time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay Sophie! :) and I second what Lizzy says about going for food! It has been WAY too long!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like that about the uniform too. It makes it so much more real and makes me feel really really a part of it.

    The umbrella sleeve says 'just in case'. Of course we all know it's not going to rain during the Olympics ;)

    I had a photo of my burrito bowl :P

    The Chipotle is just round the corner from Tottenham Court Road Station/ We Will Rock You. We should totally go there some time for sure :D I could never have enough of that!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Okay, the uniform is not so bad actually. And you are going to have the most memorable summer of your life, that's for sure!

    But most importantly...... What sauce did you get?

    ReplyDelete
  5. The one your sister told me to get. I'm too scared of her to do anything else :P Also I keep wanting to spell her name Xena :P

    Glad you like the uniform :D

    ReplyDelete